James Waisanen, City Assessor
915 Main St.
Norway, MI 49870
(906) 563-9961 Ext 203
• need to find property within the city and
where it is located.
• need to find out who owns a property and
how to contact them by mail.
• need to obtain the value or tax liability
of a piece of property.
• need to know whether a property
has a special assessment on it.
• are a first time home buyer and you
need to fill out a homestead form.
• have purchased property and need
to fill out a property transfer affidavit.
• have sold or bought on Land Contract and
need to give a copy to the Assessor's office.
• Legal Descriptions
• State Equalized Value
• Taxable Value
• Square footage of a home
• Year Built
• Lot Size
• Other informational questions
• Helps to locate properties for people and make copies of assessment cards as needed and
provides maps showing where property is.
• Give tax information for tax bills and millage rates.
• Has maps of the City & subdivisions to locate property.
• Update property info with every deed recorded
• Change mailing address per owner's request
• Holds Board of Review for clerical errors or mutual mistakes only;
• Defend appeals at the state level (Michigan Tax Tribunal);
• Sends out Change of Assessment notices every year the value changes;
• Processes personal property statements and maintains those values every year
• Maintains the IFT (industrial facility tax abatement) roll.
Please see the City Ordinances and Permits page for information on projects in the city.
Department of Treasury Individual Taxpayer Forms
GIS Digital Land License Agreement
Statewide Search for Subdivision Plats